28 December 2007

Baby Signs

Since Addison was about 6 months old, we have introduced sign language to her. According to the books I have read, you start with one sign 'more'. The sign is simple, you move form a sort of wall with your four fingers on each hand, then you move your hands back and forth tapping your fingertips from one hand to the other. We weren't overly consistent with it, except when Addie was eating. They say babies usually sign back around 9 months. Well, 9 months came and went, no signing. I know the daycare is a factor as well, they don't sign to her. Oh well. But the other day we had huge progress..

On Christmas morning we walked into my mom's kitchen where she was cooking a yummy breakfast. Addison practically dove out of my arms towards the griddle signing more. I was stunned and so proud at the same time! She even signed again after she ate and wanted more. Then the other day I picked her up from school. The kids were waiting for the teacher to give them a snack, but I had picked Addie up from the chair before she got any. She quickly turned to me and signed 'more'. Her teachers told me she signs often. Again, I was one proud parent!!
So now we will move on to new signs. Of course, I need to dig out my book and see what comes next. Supposedly after they learn 'more' the others come quicker. I'm looking forward to it!!

No comments: